Chicken Lo Mein
I like to keep my eye out for recipes that are delicious and fresh substitutes for takeout. This one caught my eye because it is packed with vegetables. Also, it contains those scrumptious soba noodles that I just can’t seem to get enough of these days! The cremini mushrooms have a strong earthy flavor that adds some depth to this dish. (You could always substitute button mushrooms if the cremini are too “dirty” for you.) This dish tastes even better reheated and eaten a few days later. This is definitely another one of those instances where you could throw this in a little white box with a thin wire handle and enjoy the best take out you never ordered!
Chicken Lo Mein:
- One 12-ounce package of soba noodles
- 5 cloves garlic
- One 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 pound of chicken breast sliced into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, vegetable oil, or a few squirts of cooking spray
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- One 1-pound bag frozen mixed stir-fry vegetables (water chestnuts, mini corn, carrots, peppers, peapods etc.), thawed
In a medium pot of boiling water, cook noodles until tender, about five minutes.
Using a blender or food processor, finely chop the garlic and ginger. Transfer half of the mixture to a medium bowl. Add the chicken strips and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce to the bowl.
In a large skillet, heat the oil or spray over medium-high heat. Add the chicken mixture to the skillet and cook until chicken is no longer pink. Transfer to a clean bowl.
Using the same skillet add the mushrooms and the remaining ginger-garlic mixture. Cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are tender and brown.
In a small bowl whisk together the remaining 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, the oyster sauce and cornstarch. Add 1/3 cup of water and the chicken broth. Pour this mixture over the mushrooms and simmer until thickened. Add the thawed mixed vegetables and the chicken mixture to the skillet. Cook until heated through. Add the noodles and toss.