While the rest of the world is honing their recipes for whipped sweet potatoes and roasted Brussels sprouts, I am not. I am honing recipes that can be prepared with minimal effort and eaten during the busy holiday season when the fridge is full but there is nothing to eat.
I am always searching for the next best slow cooker recipe and this one, my friends, is a GEM. I love eating lentils but admit that I find the plain old lentil soup (while delicious) can get a tad boring. Enter: Meatless Taco Filling.
This recipe is at the top of my list because:
- It uses the slow cooker = I don’t have to worry about dinner once I have tossed all of the ingredients and turned the dial to “on”
- It is healthy! Three cheers for lentils (fiber, folate, + non-animal protein)
- It is delicious! While you might not fool a diehard carnivore into thinking it is meat, it does feel just like meat on the palette and you might trick them for a few minutes. This is a fantastic recipe for vegetarians AND meat eaters.
- Everyone loves taco night!
I am documenting this recipe immediately so that I don’t forget about it!
Meatless Tacos (Slow Cooker Lentil Taco Filling):
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 14 ounces vegetable broth (beef or chicken broth can be substituted) plus an additional 5-6 oz.
- 1 cup salsa
- 14 ounce can of corn
- your favorite taco fixings (tortilla shells, grated cheese, sour cream/Greek yogurt, fresh cilantro, chopped tomatoes etc.)
P.S. I love Food.com!