Broccoli Rabe Crockpot Meatballs
Happy Fall! I am posting this recipe so that I will not forget how much I loved this meal. I rely on Kitchenbelle.com as a place to find our favorite recipes. Whenever I am at a loss of what to cook for dinner, or if someone asks me to bring an appetizer to a party, or I need to make a dessert, I come to this site to find my favorites curated and easily accessible.
SO here we go. I recently made Skinny Taste Broccoli Rabe Crockpot meatballs and instantly fell in love. They are DELICIOUS. And so easy. I made one substitution–instead of the bread I used one cup of oatmeal because my husband is gluten free. I was wary of how it would work but then very pleasantly surprised by the result. The oatmeal gave the meatballs a nice firmness and great texture. And they reheated really well the days following. I served over quinoa and with a side salad. To my future self–do not forget about this recipe!!
Skinny Taste Crockpot Broccoli Rabe Meatballs:
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, washed, stems trimmed off
- 1 cup gluten free oatmeal
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cloves smashed garlic
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, then add the broccoli rabe. Blanch for about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, drain well and set aside in a colander to cool. Finely chop 3/4 cup of the florets and leaves (3-3/4 ounces) and set the rest aside for another use
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine the oatmeal with milk, tossing to coat. Let stand, mixing occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add the ground beef, chopped broccoli rabe, grated cheese, egg, fresh garlic, salt and pepper. Mix with clean hands, then gently form into 15 meatballs, about 1/4 cup each and transfer to a large baking sheet. Broil on the 2nd rack from the top until the top is golden, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- In a small skillet heat the oil over medium heat, add the garlic and cook until golden on both sides.
- Pour the crushed tomatoes into a slow cooker. Add salt and pepper, bay leaf and the garlic. Gently place the meatballs into the sauce, cover and cook low 4 to 6 hours or high 2 to 3 hours.
Source: Skinny Taste