The very generous folks from POM Wonderful sent me several bottles of POM Wonderful 100% pomegranate juice. They also sent a very informative fact sheet containing some interesting information about pomegranate juice and the health benefits of drinking it. Here are a couple of points that I found particularly interesting:
- “Wonderful” is actually a variety of pomegranates known for its “unique combination of superior antioxidants, delicious taste, and deep crimson color.” I found this interesting because I thought “POM Wonderful” was just the name of the company! I had no idea it referred to a type of pomegranate.
- Pomegranate juice is often referred to as “the most potent antioxidant in nature” and is linked to improved cardiovascular and prostate health.
POM Wonderful is 100% juice and does not contain any added sugar. Each 8 ounce bottle contains 150 calories. I have been sipping on these adorable little bottles of juice for a few weeks now (in fact I think I can credit them with nursing me back to health during a nasty flu virus).
Boston weather this week was much less than desirable, but suddenly, on Friday afternoon the sun came out! I immediately determined it was SANGRIA time. What better way to kick off a beautiful weekend than with a batch of fresh sangria!? I had a few bottles of POM Wonderful remaining and I knew they would make the perfect addition to my concoction!
POM-gria is not only delicious, but it is probably the most nutritious a cocktail could possibly be! The health benefits of red wine have been bludgeoned into our heads—right? Take that wine and add “the most potent antioxidant in nature” (POM Wonderful juice), raspberries (also touted for their high level of antioxidants), orange and peach slices (hello Vitamin C), and there you have a cocktail worthy of every sip.
- 1 12-ounce bottle of red wine
- 3 oranges, sliced with skin still on
- 2 peaches, sliced with skin still on
- 1-2 cups raspberries, frozen or fresh
- the juice of two limes
- 2 8-ounce bottles of POM Wonderful 100% pomegranate juice
- 1/2 liter of Pomegranate flavored seltzer (Polar is great)
Put the orange slices, peach slices, and raspberries into a pitcher or container. Pour wine, lime juice, and POM Wonderful juice over all of the fruit. Let it sit for at least an hour. (Over night is best.) Just before serving add seltzer. Serve chilled.
Eating the wine-soaked fruit is the best part!